Powered By

Free XML Skins for Blogger

Powered by Blogger


Contract Killings


Saturday, 20 August 2011

Man sentenced in G.I. murder case now charged with prison death

22-year-old man who was convicted in a Grand Island murder has been charged with killing a North Platte man who was serving a life sentence for the deaths of a mother and her child.

According to the Lancaster County attorney's office, Mohamed Abdulkadir has been charged with first-degree murder and use of a weapon to commit a felony. He is charged in the death of Michael Grandon, 22, who died on June 30, according to The Associated Press.

Grandon was serving a life sentence at the Nebraska State Penitentiary in Lincoln at the time of his death. He pleaded guilty in 2007 to first-degree murder and to aiding and abetting first-degree murder for the deaths of Lori Solie, 38, of North Platte, and her 5-year-old daughter, Tiara, according to The Associated Press.

Solie and her daughter were stabbed multiple times. Solie was also beaten with a baseball bat, and Tiara was strangled.

Grandon, who had been stabbed, died at BryanLGH West Medical Center, where he was taken after a fight with another inmate, Win Barber, a spokesman for the Nebraska Department of Corrections, said shortly after Grandon's death.

According to the Nebraska Department of Corrections' website, Grandon's sentence began in March 2008.

Abdulkadir, of Grand Island, who is also known as "Big Mo," was sentenced in September 2010 to 25 to 50 years in prison for aiding and abetting second-degree murder for the Aug. 27, 2009, shooting death of Nyuol Majak Angok Mathok, 24, at the Autumn Woods Apartments on Yund Street.

According the Department of Corrections' website, Abdulkadir is now being held at the state prison in Tecumseh.

In addition to the murder case, Abdulkadir was sentenced to five to 10 years in prison for conspiring to distribute marijuana and five to 10 years in prison for aiding and abetting attempted robbery for an Aug. 20, 2009, incident that resulted in the injury of a man in the parking lot of the Second Street Burger King.

The two five- to 10-year sentences were to be served at the same time as one another, but after the sentence in the murder case.

At Abdulkadir's sentencing, then-Deputy Hall County Attorney Lynelle Homolka described him as "the man with a plan." She said he wasn't the shooter at the Burger King and didn't fire the fatal shot in the murder case, but he was culpable in both because he was there.

Abdulkadir's father, Said Hashi, spoke at his son's sentencing. He said Abdulkadir was born in Somalia but moved to the U.S. when he was 2 years old. He had lived in Virginia and Ohio, where he finished high school and attended college. He dropped out and moved to Nebraska despite his family's protests. His attorney said Abdulkadir's best friend was shot in 2008 and he developed a drug and alcohol problem.

One of his co-defendants, Abdi Mohamed, 26, was sentenced in October 2010 to 67 to 90 years in prison for being the trigger man in both the Yund Street murder and the shooting at Burger King.

Hall County's only pending murder case involves Arkanjelo Kot, 34, who is charged with first-degree murder and using a gun to commit a felony for the July 14, 2010, incident involving Walid Omar-Aden. The shooting occurred at the Pump & Pantry on Second Street. His trial is set for November.

Kot was injured in the August 2009 shooting that killed Mathok, who was his cousin. Authorities said previously the shooting at the convenience store might have been connected to that murder.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...